Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (10)

Top Ten Favorite Covers of (Mostly) Recent Books I Have Yet To Read (and Therefore Will Judge Solely Based on Cover and Not Let Something Like Substance and Writing Get in the Way):
 
1. Matched by Ally Condie
The girl with the bright green dress trapped in a bubble is simple and eye-catching. I don't dig the other two covers (for Crossed and Reached) quite as much. Reached looks a little cheese for my tastes.
2. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
It's all spooky and chilling. I adore the creep factor. And the fact that the colors used are black, grey, and red without looking like a stock paranormal romance novel. I feel like YA needs more horror.
3. The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily Danforth
I love a good contemporary cover that doesn't ooze cheese. I find those pretty hard to find. Plus, whoever created this cover managed to hide the girl's face without having to resort to chopping off her head. Very nice.
4. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
This is one of them books that's got a girl in a pretty dress on the cover, BUT IT'S A COOL ONE. The girl and the dress are kind of fading into the stars in the background. Cool stuff and definitely stands out from the other books with girls in dresses on the covers. Bonus: the title is all badass and dramatic. I don't even remember what this one is about, but I'm looking forward to reading it.
5. The Night Circus by Emily Morgenstern
I love how this cover looks like it was made of separate little paper cutouts. The black, white, and pink designs look really classy. I don't know if I'm ever going to get around to reading this one, but if I do I best be reading a physical copy so I can look at this cover more.
6. The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour
I have no idea why this book cover makes me so happy, but it just does.

7. Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse by Lucas Klauss
Not to be redundant, but I reeeeally like the whole paper cut-out cover thing that's going on. Plus this one looks like FIRE! Fire makes for exciting covers. Bonus points for being a bright fire-engine red.
8. Sorta Like a Rockstar by Matthew Quick
I've been told I have to read this book since I got the galley like, two years ago. I don't know what's holding me back (besides the fact that now I don't quite know where it is...), because I LOVE this cover. I love how bright the colors are, and how the entire focus is on the title. SIMPLE IS KEY.
9. Graceling by Kristen Cashore
I KNOW, I KNOW. How could I have not read this yet? The answer is I'm waiting for Bitterblue to come out. This book cover looks like a modern version of a more classic fantasy tale. I love that it's just the title and a sword on the cover. SIMPLICITY. And swords.
10. Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
I just love everything about this cover. It was added to my to-read list before I even read the synopsis, that's how striking the cover was for me. Once again, another book that uses black, grey, and red without looking like a stock paranormal romance. WE'RE TAKING BACK THOSE COLORS, GUYS.






Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to add Anna Dressed in Blood to my list- it is an awesome and stand-out cover. I also really like the #3- contemporary/romance without the cheese factor is hard to find! The Disenchantments made my list- that cover makes me smile & think of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome covers. My fave from your list is Cameron Post.

    Tanya
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete