Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ditched by Robin Mellom

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Pages: 288
Series or Stand Alone: Stand Alone
Summary: High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her. Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom. And then ditched her.

Review:
I read this one for the concept, because I definitely not a fan of this cover. It was kind of like a throwback to the 80s/90s all-night adventure movies like Adventures in Babysitting and Can’t Hardly Wait. Unfortunately, it did not deliver as well as one would hope.
The story opens on Justina in a ditch, after being ditched (do you see what just happened with that just then?). All she remembers is that she was at the prom with her best friend/crush Ian and that he ditched her. She wanders into the local mini mart in the hopes of finding sustenance or a phone. Instead, she gets a sympathetic ear or two to listen to her tale as the details slowly come back to her.
Justina as a character annoyed me.  She jumped to wild conclusions about Ian and everyone else around her. For someone who was judged as a “kissing slut” she sure dismissed people as being sluts and morons for the way they dressed and who they hung out with. I found it difficult to sympathize with her.
My other issue with this one was the pacing. For the type of story it was, I found the pacing to be very slow. All-night adventures usually move pretty quickly, but this one had a tendency to drag.
The concept behind Ditched was great, but unfortunately I didn’t enjoy it as much as I hoped. I’d still be curious to read upcoming Mellom works; she has good ideas and I’d be interested to see how she develops as a writer in the future.

Rating: 2 - meh. I wasn’t thrilled.




No comments:

Post a Comment